At the end of the week, anything left over, I now cook up and purée and freeze. This was fantastic when Luke was first weaning, but as he got bigger, I started having to use my brain – how was I going to use these purées?! They were definitely started to mound up in the freezer! I started adding it to things like mash potato and using it as a pizza base instead of tomato purée. Then I started adding it to anything and everything I was cooking, even for Greg and myself!
Luke’s absolute favourite is Spaghetti Bolognese. He could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner if we let him! I try and keep it to once every few days though because if he gets bored of it, I will really struggle!! I first tried him on a baby ready meal version when we were out and about and he LOVED it, so I started making it for him at home. I then started to add various purées to it and he still ate the lot!! My favourite recipe for Luke is also a firm favourite of Greg’s and mine.
Here you go!
400g minced meat
1 onion finely chopped
2 crushed cloves garlic
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato purée
Spaghetti (I am the worst at measuring this..)
Broccoli, carrot, peppers, spinach, sweet potato
- Lightly fry the onions and garlic together until soft. Add mince
- Brown the mince. I don’t actually use any oil for this part as the meat is normally fairly fatty. I drain the meat so there is no liquid
- Once the mince is browned, add the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes and purée and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Break the spaghetti up really small and boil until soft
- Once all cooked, drain the spaghetti and add to the bolognese mix
This makes me between 6-8 freezer meals for Luke. It is brilliant! Let me know if you try it/