I know, I’ve said it before, but it is still an issue.. If it is green, Luke will close his eyes and throw it on the floor. Seriously – he hates anything that resembles anything healthy!
I have become a bit of an expert in getting creative and hiding vegetables in everything! These muffins are so good – even have them for my lunch. They freeze, the thaw and they taste incredible.
The veg can be substituted for anything really – just follow the same method.
230g Plain Flour
half tbsp Baking Powder
180ml Milk (any can be used)
1 Large Egg
1 Small Head of Broccoli
1 Small Head of Cauliflower
5 Cherry Tomatoes
Makes between 10-15 medium sized muffins!
1. Steam the Broccoli and Cauliflower until very soft, then pre-heat the oven to 180°c/375°f/Gas Mark 5.
2. Mash the vegetables – if your child is super fussy, you can puree them. If your child is not as fussy, use a fork so there are still some lumps. Chop the tomatoes up and add them to the vegetables.
3. In a bowl, mix the flour into the vegetables and add the cheese. In a separate bowl/jug, mix the wet ingredients (milk, egg, oil) together and gradually add to the mix.
4. Spoon the mix into a muffin tray. I use a silicone one, so no need for liners. If I was doing them for lunch boxes, I think I would add liners though!
5. Bake for approx. 20 minutes. They will look golden – but do the cake test to see if they need longer (stick a knife through the middle. If it pulls out clean, they’re done! If there is some goo still on the knife, they need another few minutes). When ready, leave to cool on a wire rack.
6. These can be frozen as soon as they’re cool. I heat them up in the microwave in 30 second bursts. Normally one minute in total does it! I have also put one frozen in Luke’s lunch box when we wake up. That way, they are defrosted by lunch time.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £14.99Was: £19.99
Price: £14.99Was: £17.99
Price: £11.95Was: £19.95